Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Review: Glow Recipe Blueberry Bounce Gentle Cleanser and Watermelon Glow Sleeping Mask


I knew I had to try it when Glow Recipe came out with these super-innovative, multitasking and performance-oriented skincare products. Glow has been a huge advocate for multitasking skincare products. They are the one who introduce me to things like pressed serum, essence toner, splash mask, in-shower mask and so on. I also agree with them that sometimes a good and effective product matters more than putting on 10 different stuffs on my skin in a routine. Besides, I sometimes just end my nighttime routine with a treatment essence and sleeping mask!

Now let's look at these two super multitasking skincare products presented by Glow Recipe:

  • a cleanser that combines makeup removing and normal cleansing in one while functioning as a hydrating mask
  • a sleeping mask that combines exfoliation, hydration, and overnight treatment in one




I got my Glow Recipe Glow Bag from an Instagram seller offering buying service. The product cost roughly RM150. It came with a mini Blueberry Bounce Gentle Cleanser at 25ml and a mini Watermelon Glow Sleeping Mask at 20ml.

Glow Recipe Blueberry Bounce Gentle Cleanser


This is a foam cleanser with makeup removing and skin moisturizing benefits. Glow Recipe claims that this will deeply hydrate the skin so that you won't need a hydrating toner afterwards. It contains blueberry extract and glycolic acid (AHA) to provide anti-oxidizing, exfoliating, and hydrating benefits. So basically this is intended to be a cleanser and hydrating toner hybrid? Sounds cool, eh?




The product comes in a clear and viscous gel with a fresh blueberry scent. It foams up gently with a pH around 4.5-5.5 but the result might be a bit biased because my tap water is slightly acidic (~6.5).

HOW TO USE



There are many ways you can use this product:

(1) Make Up Remover
apply a generous amount on dry skin and massage it to dissolve the makeup before rinsing it off like normal foam cleanser

(2) Normal Foaming Cleanser
take a small pea size, lather into foam and massage it to onto the face remove dirt and impurities

(3) Hydrating Mask
apply a generous amount all over your damp face and rinse it off later



INGREDIENTS

Water, Palm Kernel/Coco Glucoside, Caulerpa Lentillifera (Seaweed) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Physalis Peruviana (Groundcherry) Fruit Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Arctostaphylos Uva Ursi (Bearberry) Leaf Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Fruit Extract, Vaccinium Myrtillus (Bilberry) Fruit Extract, Beta-Glucan, Scutellaria Baicalensis (Skullcap) Root Extract, Paeonia Suffruticosa (Peony) Root Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Brassica Oleracea Capitata (Cabbage) Leaf Extract

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS

If I see it correctly, this doesn't have a preservative??? or they are left out in the ingredients? Anyhow, this looks like an amazingly clean list for a cleanser. It only uses naturally-derived coco glucoside as surfactant, a super gentle foaming agent with skin conditioning and emulsifying properties. It is one of the surfactant with a 1/7 safety rating on CosDNA! It contains load of skin-loving ingredients like seaweed extract, sodium hyaluronate, multiple berries extract, beta glucan and AHAs. AHA is an exfoliator and water-binding agent. It needs a pH of 4.0 and lower to do the exfoliating job properly. But this cleanser, at only around 4.5-5.5, is not gonna be at a good pH for the AHA inside to work effectively, so we are looking at a product with some-sort-of exfoliating and hydrating properties. It is not completely hydrating, nor is it exfoliating, it is like somewhere in between, and you need to wash it off later.

PERFORMANCE


It was a love at first sight. The cleanser has a gentle and fun-to-use viscous gel consistency with a natural blueberry scent. It can remove light makeup, but not waterproof gel liner and concealer, and it cannot take off lip tint. But that is good enough if I only need it for my sunscreen everyday. I prefer to apply this on a dry face because doing so requires less product and I can enjoy it as a hydrating pack as well. This product foams up gently so it is not stripping or drying. My skin does feel a little tight after using, so Krave Beauty is gentler compared to this. My skin also feels kinda comfortable, but I don't think it hydrates my skin that well, nor can it replace my hydrating toner.

Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Sleeping Mask


This is a beautiful-looking, bouncy and super lightweight gel-cream-textured sleeping mask that helps to smooth and hydrate your skin overnight. Again, this can function as a 10-minutes exfoliating wash-off mask, or a non-sticky moisture- and radiance-boosting sleeping mask. It is a hydrator and exfoliator in one.


INGREDIENTS

Water, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycerin, Caulerpa Lentillifera (Seaweed) Extract, Simethicone, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Fruit, Silica, Propanediol, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Fruit Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Extract, Musa Sapientum (Banana) Fruit Extract , Paeonia Suffruticosa (Peony) Root Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Brassica Oleracea Capitata (Cabbage) Leaf Extract, Ipomoea Batatas (Sweet Potato) Root Extract, Betaine, Beta Glucan, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Xanthan Gum, Alcohol, Fragrance

INGREDIENTS ANALYSIS


I can see that Glow Recipe is obsessed about preservative-free skincare! They use a minimal amount of alcohol, no dimethicone, and no known preservatives! Again, with sodium hyaluronate as the second most-contained ingredient, it is surprising how the Glow team manages to make this so lightweight and fast-absorbing! Other ingredients like watermelon extract, pumpkin, pomegranate, banana, peony and so on botanical extracts add antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties to the product. This also contains AHA to gently exfoliate your skin overnight.

PERFORMANCE


Glow Recipe does warn us this in the website - that water-oil separation may occur - which it did in my case so I needed to stir it when I first used it. The mask has a nice bouncy and jello-like gel consistency with a sweet watermelon scent that I like. It turns into water popping texture when I massage it on my skin. I love how it is fast-absorbing, non-sticky and hydrating. However, my skin burns and stung a little when I wake up the next morning. It does appear brighter and clearer though.

WILL I REPURCHASE?


Given my love for both products, this will be a simple question to answer. However, when it comes to the cost, which is around RM200 each, it is really tricky to answer. I think I need to finish both trial set to decide further whether I want to repurchase them both. The cleanser is nice and works more like a hydrating mask than a cleanser. The sleeping mask smells great and does make your skin a lot brighter and moist after using. But I can get similar products or two similar products at much lower price so I am seriously not sure if I will repurchase. Will update you guys further.


Where to get: Glow Recipe | Sephora
[Disclaimer] Products are purchased with my own money. All copyright of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.

Post a Comment

0 Comments