I talked about Laneige Water Sleeping Mask last year. It is one of the signature Korean products that you gotta try out at least once in your life. It is super lightweight yet hydrating at the same time. Its unique consistency allows it to form a non-sticky film over your skin to serve as a "mask" overnight. It is also known for its unique, enticing "sleep-scent" that somehow manages to relax your mood and makes you sleep better. I tried and loved many sleeping masks over the past few years, but Laneige Water Sleeping Mask is the one that I always repurchase. Of course, constant promotions (Althea did a 1+1 offer for the Sleeping Mask to attract customers!) is one thing, but the product itself is also a very good one to attract repurchases.
Recently, Laneige came out with a limited (I think they might make it permanent) lavender edition of this sleeping mask. A smart move, I think. Lavender is known for its relaxing and aroma-therapeutic properties. As such, it is widely used in many skincare items (i.e. Kiehl's Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution) to soothe and release stress. I am not sure how effective it will be when it comes to skincare because you gotta inhale these essential oils to really reap its benefits, but when used in skincare, lavender extract is believed to possess anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. But since lavender comes in the form of added fragrance to this Laneige Water Sleeping Mask, its benefits should be limited only to its aroma-therapeutic properties.
Almost everything about this Laneige Water Sleeping Mask - Lavender is identical to the Laneige Water Sleeping Mask (original), except for the scent. Even the ingredients are identical!
INGREDIENTS
Water, Butylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Trehalose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Root Extract, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Fruit Extract, Beta-Glucan, Chenopodium Quinoa Seed Extract, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Chloride, Potassium Alginate, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Vp Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Propanediol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Stearyl Behenate, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Hydroxypropyl Bispalmitamide Mea, Inulin Lauryl Carbamate, Alcohol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, Tromethamine, Disodium Edta, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance
(original version)
Water, Butylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Trehalose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Root Extract, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Fruit Extract, Beta-Glucan, Chenopodium Quinoa Seed Extract, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Chloride, Potassium Alginate, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Vp Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Propanediol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Stearyl Behenate, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Hydroxypropyl Bispalmitamide Mea, Inulin Lauryl Carbamate, Alcohol, 1, 2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, Tromethamine, Disodium Edta, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance
COMPARISON - TEXTURE
Actually if you notice, lavender version actually looks lighter and more translucent than the original version. I am not is it because of the different in colouring, or some chemical reactions inside. The difference, however, is minimal.
COMPARISON - SCENT
For this reason, I somehow prefer the original sleep-scent better than the lavender scent. I think the original sleep-scent relaxes my mind and induces better rest whereas the lavender version doesn't make a difference to my mood to sleep. It is totally different from smelling original lavender flower.
COMPARISON - PERFORMANCE
I noticed that not only does the lavender version fails to relax my mind, it is also less moisturizing compared to the original version. I then checked the ingredients and are quite intrigued, even confused to find that both ingredients are the same!! I think either the chemical reaction changes when they add in the lavender fragrance, or the portion is altered. But the feeling is obvious - the lavender version is not as moisturizing and soothing as the original version.
CONCLUSION
It appears that the lavender version is a good marketing vow but a failed sister product to the Laneige Water Sleeping Mask. Lavender does sound fancy, especially so when it is added to a skincare that is meant for overnight application, but not all lavender is created equal. I have tried many skincare with lavender and realized that the real good ones are the one with lavender essential oil. You just cannot fake or manufacture the scent - something about its spicy undertone really calms my mind and puts me into better rest. Having said all these, I am sad to announce that I will not repurchase this Laneige Water Sleeping Mask Lavender Special Edition!
Extended Reading:
Overall impression: ★★☆ (lavender version) ★★★★☆ (original version)
Repurchasing: ☆ (lavender version) ★★★★★ (original version)
You can get this from: Laneige Malaysia | Althea Korea | Hermo Malaysia etc.
[Disclaimer] Products are purchased with my own money. All copyright of contents and images in this article is strictly mine.

















0 Comments